Is ground beef mushroom stroganoff a thing? I’ve heard of beef stroganoff, but never ground beef mushroom stroganoff. Oh well, I’m going with it because it was delicious and there were no leftovers because my family devoured this recipe.
I’ve been craving rich, creamy pasta dishes lately. There’s something about cooler temperatures and comfort foods loaded with that umami flavor that is just irresistible to me. I’ve been wanting beef stroganoff and I looked on Pinterest but didn’t find quite what I was looking for, so I went recipe-rogue and made my own.
Here’s what you need:
- Two tablespoons butter or canola oil
- 1 – white onion – diced
- 1 – green pepper – diced
- 1 – 2 cups chopped baby portabella mushrooms (one of the small boxes of mushrooms chopped up!)
- 1 lb. of ground beef or ground sirloin
- 1 can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic soup
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of sour cream (you’ll adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 – 16 ounce box of rotini pasta
- Boil the pasta and while it cooks…
- Warm the butter or oil over medium/medium-high heat in a large frying pan, then saute the diced onion until translucent.
- Add the green pepper and cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped portabella mushrooms, cook for three to five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now would be a good time to check the pasta and if it’s done, drain, toss with a bit of oil, and set aside.
- When the mushrooms are tender, push the veggies off to the side of the pan and add the ground beef. As the beef starts to cook, slowly mix in the veggies and allow the beef to cook thoroughly.
- When the beef and veggies are cooked, turn the heat to medium/medium-low and add the can of soup, mixing well. I also added about a half cup of water but you can adjust the amount depending on desired thickness.
- Add the sour cream, adjusting to your desired level of sour creaminess.
- You’re done – serve the stroganoff over the pasta with a veggie! (We had sautéed zucchini!)
There you have it – a fast and easy beef stroganoff spin-off that doesn’t take any time at all. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.